Pages

Thursday 20 September 2012

Sweet Corn Salad with Mangoes, Broccoli, and Cilantro


Many of my creations in my kitchen come from simply looking in my fridge to see what I have yet to devour.   Yesterday , I noticed 3 yellow ears of sweet corn sitting on my middle shelf.  I also found that I had some broccoli rabe and a lonely little mango waiting to be gobbled.

Fast forward to the evening and there you have it....A delicious and healthy corn salad filled with savoury sweet corn, tropical mangoes, lightly steamed broccoli, and a kick of heat from a hot red pepper. Yummy!

Makes:  3-4 servings

Ingredients

3 ears of sweet corn, cooked (steamed)
1 cup of steamed broccoli rabe, chopped
1 medium sized mango, peeled and sliced
1 hot red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1.  Take a chef's knife and cut kernels off the corn cob by placing the flat end portion of the cob at the end of a large bowl.
2.  Run the knife down the length of the ear of corn, close to the core of the base of the kernel using a sawing motion (as if you are slicing bread) until all that remains is the husk.  Repeat with the other 2 cobs of corn.
3.  In the same bowl, mix corn, broccoli rabe, mango, pepper, cilantro, lemon juice and olive oil.
4.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

This can be served with just about anything...roasted chicken breast, steamed fish with lime, or wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla with a dollop of creamy greek yogurt...enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment